Youth Director at WCUMC Methodist Church
Walnut Creek, California
Do you enjoy working with young people as they explore and grow in their faith? The main
focus of this position is to provide a spiritual formation experience for middle and high school
students. This is a 10-hour per week job with somewhat flexible hours that starts at $25 an
hour (or more, based on experience).
● Plan and implement programs for growth in Christian faith and community, consistent
with the mission of WCUMC including leading a Confirmation class.
● Lead service opportunities (including a weeklong annual mission trip)
● Provide fellowship opportunities
● Accept young people regardless of race, culture, ability, gender, sexual orientation or
identity and to provide a safe space for them both physically and spiritually.
● Collaborate with the Pastor and Music Director to ensure connection between
● Expand the community of youth served through active recruitment
● Maintain a meaningful and effective social media presence
● Regularly share information about Student Ministries both in the monthly newsletter
and in Sunday morning worship.
● Actively participate in staff meetings when possible
● Consistently engage in your own spiritual growth
Qualities that we’re looking for:
● Enthusiasm for ministry with youth
● Demonstrates an upbeat and positive attitude
● Respectful and accepting of others
● Shows a high level of personal strength and stability
● Creative with implementation of programs and worship
● Ability to welcome, accept, and involve young people who are unfamiliar with the church
● Ability to build relationships across generations, to organize, lead, conduct meetings,
and to work well with a team.
Experience and Education:
● Experience in working, teaching, counseling or coaching teenagers would be preferred.
● Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university is desired, but not required.
If you’re interested, please send a cover letter and resume to Steven Hays-Lohrey at