"Coming to WCUMC was like coming home. As a lesbian and a Christian, I spent many years in conflict with society. Not here. Here, my wife and I are loved and respected as a children of God. We are fully welcomed and sincerely cared for. We are active participants in worship and social groups in the church. It has heen such a blessing for us to find a community that understands we truly are no different than anyone else; our faith and our commitment to our relationship are nurtured here." - Zayne
Over 24 years ago, Walnut Creek United Methodist Church voted to become a Reconciling Congregation in welcoming all to fully participate in the church regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity. Since then our congregation has grown to include a substantial LGBTQ population that is involved in every aspect of the Church's structure, mission and life.
We have voted twice, the last time in 2009, to include support for same-sex marriage in our affirmation. The current version of our affirmation is as follows:
Believing that all persons are recipients of God's grace, the Walnut Creek First United Methodist Church makes these affirmations:
- We rejoice in the gifts and graces of all persons. No one will be excluded from participating in the body of the church because of age, color, ethnicity, culture, religious origins, sexual preference, or challenging conditions; therefore, we openly accept and welcome the participation of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning persons in our midst.
- Acceptance for all can be a reality, if we as builders of the community make it so. Fear, hatred and oppression reflect neither God’s love nor God’s intent for the community of faith.
- We pledge our efforts to advocate and address the concerns of all in our church and in society.
- We pray for all who find themselves in exile from the family of God. We pray that our church, the First United Methodist Church in Walnut Creek, will share the responsibility of moving forward to affirm the integrity and worth of all persons.
- We commit ourselves, as the body of Christ, to advocate for the right of everyone to have the freedom to marry the person of their choice, regardless of color, ethnicity, culture, sexual orientation, gender identity or challenging conditions.
- We affirm the teachings of Jesus that call us to move beyond judgment to love, and renew our commitment to one another and to this church to be faithful witnesses of the gospel. We believe that the Gospel of Jesus Christ is incompatible with discrimination or intolerance.
- As builders of the bridges of connectedness, we invite all to join with us in our gatherings.
We understand the United Methodist Denomination is torn over the issue of homosexuality and same-sex marriage. The Book of Discipline currently disapproves of openly homosexual ministers and prohibits same-sex marriages. But every year a greater number of United Methodist Churches and members are changing their minds and Walnut Creek United Methodist Church is at the forefront of that change.
As a congregation it distresses us deeply that any of God's children would feel unwelcome in God's House. We welcome you to join us if you are looking for a Church where you will be accepted and included regardless of your sexual orientation or gender identity.